Even though shaggy rugs are a simple and effective way to elevate any living space with a touch of coziness – it’s a whole different story when they begin to get dirty!
Besides having a reputation for being tricky to clean, shaggy rugs are also central points of a room..so it’s important to make sure that they stay in tip-top condition.
But, the only question is, how do you go about correctly cleaning a shaggy rug? If you’re currently asking yourself this question – then rest assured that you have clicked on the right article!
To make sure that you are able to clean your shaggy rug without damaging it – we’re here to lend you a helping hand.
In this article, we are going to be showing you how you can correctly clean your shaggy rug without damaging it, as well as providing you with an additional method for deep cleaning your shaggy rug whenever you think it needs it.
So, whenever you’re ready, read a professional commercial cleaner’s guide to learn how to rejuvenate your rug and restore it back to its original appearance!
How To Clean A Shaggy Rug? Step-By-Step Instructions?
Kicking things off, we are first going to be talking you through a simple and easy method that you can follow to instantly give your shaggy rug a new lease of life. Whenever you’re ready, just read on:
- Get rid of surface dirt: First things first, before you even think about beginning to clean your shaggy rug, you should first take a moment to get rid of all of the excess dirt on the surface of your shaggy rug.
To do this, we recommend that you roll your rug and take it to an outdoor space, where you can then shake the rug and get rid of as much dirt, debris, and anything else inside the fibres of your shaggy rug as you possibly can.
- Shampoo your shaggy rug: Once you have shaken all of the dirt and debris out of your rug, you are then going to be ready to begin shampooing your shaggy rug!
With your rug cleaner of choice, mix the shampoo into some water and apply the mixture to your shaggy rug. After you have done this, take a soft brush and gently scrub the mixture into your rug in gentle, circular motions.
By doing this, you will be ensuring that the mixture will get deep into your shaggy rug, rather than simply on the surface.
- Leave the shampoo to soak: Once you have applied your shampoo and water mixture to your rug, you can then leave it to soak for around 15 minutes (or for however long you deem necessary for your rug), After doing this, you can then proceed to rinse out the shampoo with a little bit of water.
- Thoroughly dry your rug: Last but not least, you will then need to proceed by thoroughly drying your shaggy rug. It is very important that you make sure to dry your shaggy rug after you are done cleaning it, otherwise, the residing moisture might cause mold or mildew growth.
If you like, you could also finish by spraying your carpet rug with a fragrance spray.
Top tip: If you want to clean your shaggy rug and the weather isn’t too great, then instead of taking your rug outside to clean your shaggy rug – then you could alternatively opt to clean your shaggy rug either in your shower space or bathtub.
This will help to prevent your home from becoming messy!
How To Deep Clean A Shaggy Rug: Step-By-Step Instructions
Even though the method above might be suitable for general maintenance, there might be some times when you find that your shaggy rug is in need of something a little extra!
So, for those times when you need to give your shaggy rug a deeper clean, we recommend that you try out the following method that we are going to be talking you through below:
- Shake the excess dirt and debris out of your rug: Similar to the method we have already talked you through above, when you are cleaning your shaggy rug, you should begin by first getting rid of all the excess dirt and debris currently harbouring inside your rug.
This will help to make deep cleaning your rug a whole lot easier.
- Apply the rug shampoo: Seeing as your shaggy rug is in need of a deep clean, we recommend that you opt for a dry shampoo that you can sprinkle across the top of your shaggy rug. This will then allow the product to seep into the deeper layers of the rug.
- Allow the shampoo to sit for 1-2 hours: Once you have applied the shampoo to your shaggy rug, you should then allow it to sit for around 1-2 hours. It is very important that you allow the shampoo to soak for this length of time, as this will allow the shampoo to thoroughly work itself into your rug.
If you want a more intense clean, then you can take a cloth and gently work the shampoo into the deeper layers of your rug.
- Vacuum your shaggy rug: After you have finished soaking your dry shampoo into your rug, you can then finish by taking a vacuum and gently vacuuming your shaggy rug. Not only will this remove all of the dry shampoos, but it will also effectively get rid of all the dirt and debris, too.
- As a side note, if you do find that your shaggy rug is too long for vacuuming, then you can alternatively opt to shake your rug to get rid of all the dirt and debris instead. If possible, we do recommend that you shake your shaggy rug outdoors to help prevent your home from becoming messy.