Whiteboards are really useful items. They are a great teaching aid, hence their use in schools and other workplace settings. However, cleaning whiteboards can be a nightmare.
If you do not clean them properly, the dirt can build up over time. Erasers may prove to be ineffective on an unclean whiteboard. To help you, we have created a set of detailed instructions so that you can make your whiteboard look as good as new.
In order to clean your whiteboards, you will need a few items. Thankfully, these items are easy to acquire. They are:
- A dirty whiteboard – to do this method, you will need an unclean whiteboard that requires washing. Usually, this mess will be caused by whiteboard pens.
- A damp cloth – this cleaning essential will be used in this method. Thankfully, they are cheap and easy to obtain. You can get them in most supermarkets and online.
- A cleaning solution – to make your whiteboard look sparkling new, you will need to use a good quality cleaning solution. There are a number of different solutions that you can try out, such as:
- Water and soap
- Hand sanitiser
- Glass cleaner
- Commercial cleaning solutions aimed at whiteboards
- A dry cloth – you can use the same kind of cloth that you used earlier. This cloth will be used to dry the whiteboard.
- A dry-erase marker – if you have stains that you just cannot shift, you may want to try a dry-erase marker. These lifesaving objects are super useful for getting rid of permanent markers. This item will be used as part of method #2. Though it may sound counterintuitive, trust us.
This is a really simple way of ensuring that your whiteboards are clean.
- Use a whiteboard eraser or cloth to remove as many of the marks as possible.
- Next, choose a cleaning. We recommended some solutions for you to try out above.
- Dampen a cloth with the solution. Then, rub the cloth against the whiteboard until the stains begin to lift. Of course, different cleaning solutions may need to be applied differently. If you are using a cleaner specifically designed for whiteboards, there should be information on the label regarding the application. If you are using a harsh cleaner, such as WD-40, it is advised that you protect your skin.
- Make sure that none of the solutions remains on the board. Leave the board to dry entirely before using it again.
If the first technique was unsuccessful, you should not panic. There is a second method that you can try out.
- Draw over the pen marks with a dry-erase marker. While you may assume that doing so will contribute to the stains, it can remove them. Be sure to completely cover these persistent stains with the dry-erase marker.
- Wait a few seconds for the marker to dry fully. This should not take very long. Namely, it should only need a few seconds.
- Wipe the marker off with a dry and clean cloth. The reason for this is that the new dry-erase marks should make the more powerful stains easier to budge.
- If you need to, repeat these steps.
- Once you have removed all of the stains, give the whiteboard a thorough clean. This can be done with a cloth that has been moistened with a cleaning solution. Check out the “Equipment” section for more information on what cleaning solutions we recommend.
- Leave the whiteboard to dry before using it again.
- Ensure that you clean your whiteboard regularly. It will be harder for dirt to build up this way.
- Do not use permanent markers on your whiteboard. As the name suggests, these marks are tough to remove. Instead, only use pens that have been designed for use on whiteboards.
- Test a cleaning solution on a small patch of the whiteboard before applying it throughout. This will ensure that it is successful. Otherwise, you may end up wasting time and energy in applying a solution that does not work.
- Be sure to clean and replace your whiteboard equipment. For instance, you should clean any clothes or erasers you use. If they no longer work, be sure to replace them. If not, dirt can build up on them. This can make cleaning your whiteboard even more stressful.
- There are different types of whiteboards, such as melamine and porcelain. You should find out what kind you possess, as this may impact how easy it is to clean. Though porcelain whiteboards are more expensive, they will not absorb ink. Therefore, they are much more straightforward to maintain.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Does My Whiteboard Not Erase?
There can be a number of reasons why your whiteboard is no longer erasing. One of the most common causes is that your equipment has become old and dirty.
Ink can build up on erasers, causing them to perform less competently. If this is the case, your eraser will likely look discoloured. You should consider replacing it or giving it a thorough wash.
Another prominent reason for this is that the surface of the whiteboard may have been damaged. This may be irreversible, meaning you will need to purchase a new whiteboard. To avoid this, be sure to regularly maintain your whiteboard.
Does Alcohol Damage Whiteboards?
Yes, alcohol is damaging to whiteboards. The lubricating layer of these items will be removed when alcohol is applied. Because of this, you should refrain from using alcohol to clean your whiteboards, even though it is an effective cleaner for other surfaces.
Can You Clean A Whiteboard With Hand Sanitizer?
Yes, hand sanitiser is an effective whiteboard cleaning solution. However, you should bear in mind that most hand sanitisers contain high percentages of alcohol. As mentioned above, alcohol can be damaging to whiteboards.
Because of this, hand sanitiser may gradually damage your whiteboard. Thus, you may want to experiment with other cleaners if you intend to keep your whiteboard for a long time.
Though cleaning and maintaining a whiteboard is a dull job, it is nonetheless important. By cleaning your whiteboards routinely, you can make certain that they will last for longer. If you follow our advice, your whiteboards should look as though they are fresh from the store.